Sunday 9 January 2011

Blog-Event LXIII - Gute Vorsätze für das Neue Jahr

Blog-Event LXIII - Gute Vorsätze für das Neue Jahr (Einsendeschluss 15. Januar 2011)
This is my first foray into German food blog events and in a slightly recursive way is all about resolutions.

The blog event theme is about cooking or food related resolutions and participating in it fulfills some other resolutions of mine:

Resolution 1: to re-energise Travels With My Fork (our blogging dropped off in 2010)
Resolution 2: to make more of an effort to network with German food bloggers, because, well, we live here now.

This post is also about Resolution 3 which is to eat healthier breakfasts in 2011. I go through phases with breakfasting. For a month or so I was fixated on vollkorn bread with a smear of leberwurst. Then I switched to cereal. And more recently I've been having a brötchen with sliced meat and cheese. I wait until I get to work to eat my breakfast so something transportable is a prerequisite.

Last year, when i was working down by London bridge, I went through a stint of breakfasting on simple miso soups that Kelsie would prepare in advance. Those were by far the most satisfying for me. I could stave off any elevenses cravings for a biscuit or sweet thing, if I had my bowl of miso soup in the morning. And the additional perk was that this soup is not heavy or carb-laden. Pluses all around!



The recipe I've used comes from Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking. It takes no more than 20 minutes to make and is flavourful and restorative at the same time.

Carrot and Miso Soup
100g carrots, peeled and cut into thick circles
200 ml water
1 chicken stock cube or 2 tsp chicken stock powder
1 rasher streaky bacon
1 celery stick finely chopped (i used celeriac)
1/2 tsp miso
salt and pepper
coriander to garnish (i used chopped spring onion)


  1. Bring the water with chicken stock to a boil.

  2. Add the carrots and cover with a cartouche. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the carrots are tender.

  3. Take the carrots off the heat and mash in the stock until broken up into small bits.

  4. Fry the bacon until crispy. Take off the heat and stir in the chopped celery.

  5. Add the bacon and celery to the carrots and bring to the boil again.

  6. Turn off the heat and stir in the miso until dissolved.

  7. Season with salt and pepper.

  8. Serve garnished with coriander leaves.

5 comments:

Juliane {Schöner Tag noch!} said...

Thank you for your contribution!

They are pretty good resolutions for the new year. The carrot-miso soup looks very good.

Viele Grüße und schöner Tag noch,
Juliane

multikulinaria said...

Good on you! I like your resolutions. Especially number 2. I'm looking forward to meet you guys eventually. :-)

kelsie and mel said...

thanks for the comments :-)

i've extended the miso soup breakfast to also include green tea. it's my new favourite breakfast now.

i wonder what i will do in the summer though...

i'm looking forward to meeting more food bloggers here too. i'm working slowly on improving my german which i know is holding me back ;-) but i figure we've got food in common and that's universal for me.

zorra said...

Welcome to the German Foodblog-blogosphere! The soup sounds delicious and you eat it for breakfast?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel - glad to see you and twmf thriving! Tony (G). Drop us a line - ie tonyg@.co.uk - on the off chance you'd be in London for a bite/drink sometime.