it's still raining in glasgow, but that hasn't deterred us from bringing some colour into our lives. there's something about that brilliant fuschia of roasted beetroot that makes me humm. maybe it's the russian roots or maybe it's because it reminds me of manic panic hair colour from the 70s.
this is the kind of meal you can whip up in minutes (provided the beetroot have already been roasted).
Smoked Mackerel with Beetroot Salad
3 smoked mackerel fillets
2 medium to large beetroots
handful fresh coriander leaves
for the dressing:
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp walnut oil
1 clove garlic, mashed to a paste with salt
- First roast the beetroot. Preheat the oven to 200C. Wash the beetroot, and trim the ends. Wrap each beetroot tightly in foil and put into the preheated oven. Roast from 50-75 minutes until you can easily pierce the beetroot with a paring knife. Let the beetroot cool while you prepare the dressing.
- Put the mashed garlic in a small bowl or jug with the balsamic vinegar. Whisk together. Slowly add the walnut oil while whisking until it's emulsified. Add sugar, pepper and salt to taste. NOTE: at this point i also put on some basmati rice to have along with the fish and salad.
- When the beets are cool peel and cut into smallish chunks (about the same size as cherry tomato halves). Add chopped spring onion, halved cherry tomatoes and roughly chopped coriander leaves. Pour over the dressing and combine everything thoroughly.
- Heat your grill to high and grill the mackerel fillets for about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Serve the mackerel and beetroot salad alonside some steamed rice and enjoy!