I told him about my muffin bible and how i worked my way through the book cover to cover and back again, making my daily batch of 'muffin of the day' at the cafe where i worked in Aberdeen. I've never had a bad batch from the recipes in this book. Ever.
So anyways, i took the book out last weekend and made a batch of the apple spice muffins. This weekend it's 18 and sunny and in a more tropical spirit i decided to do the Carrot Pineapple variation.
Carrot Pineapple Muffins
Makes 12 normal sized muffins
200g (about 2 medium sized) finely grated carrots
120g well-drained crushed pineapple, or 4 slices chopped
255g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
110g white or soft brown sugar
120ml milk or water
85g melted butter
Optional add-ins: raisins, sultanas, walnuts, desicated coconut
- Grease muffin tin cups. Preheat oven to 190C.
- Prepare the carrot and pineapple and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Stir in the carrot and pineapple, sugar, milk and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir only enough to combine the ingredients. If using add-ins add before the final few stirs. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack.
- Best enjoyed sitting on a sunny patio on a sunday morning.