It's April, it smells like springtime in the air and I've decided to mark the new season by starting a 'cook the book' series in here. In this and future posts I'll be trying out recipes from the book you see here on the right. I chose this book because when I visited Granada last time, i got in the routine of watching Karlos Aguinano's program on tv in the afternoon. He's fun to watch and has a great sense of humour. Even though I don't speak spanish (kelsie does), i'm finding it a fun challenge to translate the recipes and try them out at home. The seasonality of recipes matches what i've been getting in my weekly organic veg box too.
Today's recipe is a salad of beetroot and potato along with some other nice additions. Though he's got it listed in the starter section for spring, it could easily work as a light supper.
Ensalada de remolacha y patata (Beetroot and potato salad)
2 cooked beetroot
2 cooked potatoes
200g mushrooms (in the book it was called hongos)
200g cooked green beans
4 leaves of swiss chard blanched
12 prawns or langoustine tails
1 small onion
vinegar and salt
- In the middle of a plate place the cooked green beans and cover them with the chopped swiss chard leaves and stalks.
- All around the outside of the plate, arrange the potato, peeled and cut into rounds, alternating with beetroot, also cut into rounds.
- In a saute pan heat the olive oil and quickly cook the prawns or langoustine tails until they turn pink.
- Top the salad with the cooked prawns and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Finally, decorate with sliced onion rings and season with olive oil and vinegar.